Upcoming games that makes me glad I'm a species born with opposabl
Quote:Last I checked it, Blu-ray was having serious problems with trying to read their second layers, as such they couldn't do anything, but single layer. HD conversely was able to read up to 50 G of space at the time that Blu-ray was only doing single layer.

And the next generation will not be standard plastic disc for storing media, but proteins. Someone is working on using a protein from insects to create the film in the disc and a single layer is said to hold 300 G of information.

I'm not so sure you can say that will be next gen at this stage. I saw demos of HP's DLP chip back in 93 and they didn't hit production till what 2005 for HD sets. Plasma and other HD TV techs that were comparible hit market first. I was sure back in the mid 90's that DLP was going to be the it thing because it was so much better back then than anything else I had seen a working demo of. But right now it's still niche. I still think it provides a better picture quality than any other HD tech but they couldn't first to market (I think they had too many issues with mirrors sticking and if one got stuck you get a similar issue to a 'dead pixel' on an LCD.

I'm pretty sure that something else "next gen" will hit before any of the bio-chemical solutions that are being worked on hit market. Especially if you can't synthetically manufacture the bio material because quantity matters too. I've seen some of the stuff on the insect protien stuff but they are still having to extract the proteins from the bugs at this stage from what I understand, that won't fly for production products, they will have to be able to grow that protein in large quantities to produce anything for consumption by the public in most cases.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
Upcoming games that makes me glad I'm a species born with opposabl - by Kevin - 08-22-2007, 01:10 AM