The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build
Quote:This is the idea: Assume you are not the only shadow priest in the raid, and that you want to be able to heal as well. How would you talent and gear?

This of course is something I think I will be trying. I've got my primal mooncloth set and a pretty decent set of healing gear, and since I don't know that going shadow will be permanent, I'm looking for a cheap way to try it out.

It's motivated by the Gruul fight. I just feel dang useless at the beginning, trying to dps with DoT and wand, yet I see mages stuck outside the shadow priest group that end up oom on a fight that is pretty much just a straight up DPS check. A holy/disc priest's best role on this fight is to buff the raid, and then sit out of the fight:(. Let the druids handle shatter damage, and the pallies keep up the tanks. But I've got a lot of investment and interest in healing... so here is the plan. Keep as much healing as possible while still being capable of being a mana battery and decent DPS in fights where that is better.

Improved Fort? Nah, bring candles to donate.

Shadow weaving? Ok it'll stack faster if I take it... but the other shadow priest(s) can stack it up soon enough for a fight that matters that I'd rather save those talent points.

Misery? Let the other guy keep it up.

This frees me up for 20 points in holy. I also assume I can leech Divine Spirit off of someone. Over a typical raiding spriest build, I'm not losing hardly anything in a raid situation. Over a healing priest build, I am losing spiritual guidance, spiritual healing, and holy concentration. I do, howver, retain a lot of healing goodies, most importantly the 2.5s cast time for GH and 15% reduced mana cost.

Here is my planned talent distribution:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=rZfLxccZxGxtM0Rhtxo

Comments and feedback? My main concern is gearing. I've got a smattering of decent damage gear, but it's been skewed towards a smiter build for non-boss fights -- it lacks hit and has too much crit. Capping hit (my first priority) is looking a little bit painful, I'll have to go track down some specific drops. Not having Frozen Shadoweave puts me in a bit of a gear hole. But I'm basically treating this as a utility build, I don't expect to top the DPS charts.

Looking at the build, there is one thing I would change, skip shadow power and go with 2 points in Imp PS, 1 point in Silence, and 2 points in Fade (since you have no threat reduction from Silent Resolve). While the additional 15% crit would be nice on Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death, you're majority of damage is going to come through Shadow Word: Pain, Vampiric Touch, and Mind Flay (and these spells are less of a threat jump than Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death can be). There are also enough mobs around to warrant the use of Silence on occasion as a backup for the Shaman and Mages.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.

Messages In This Thread
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by Bolty - 08-16-2007, 04:11 PM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by Bolty - 08-16-2007, 04:56 PM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by Xame - 08-16-2007, 05:21 PM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by Kevin - 08-16-2007, 05:23 PM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by Lissa - 08-17-2007, 06:00 AM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by q4m - 08-17-2007, 04:22 PM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by Frag - 08-17-2007, 05:48 PM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by q4m - 08-17-2007, 07:59 PM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by Tal - 08-17-2007, 08:02 PM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by Bolty - 08-17-2007, 11:36 PM
The PvE "Sidekick" Shadow Priest build - by Lissa - 08-18-2007, 02:57 AM