Michael Moore's "Sicko" is hot internet news
I have no intention of squandering any of my time watching Sicko. If I want some polemic, I can find other sources with ease.

However, since I have lived in Toronto for all of my adult life, I am bemused to learn (via this thread) that Toronto is being held up as some epitome of safety. Just as with any large city, it depends on where you live. There are a number of neighbourhoods where just walking down the street is a hazard to your health. Driftwood and Jamestown are notoriously unsafe. Sections of Parkdale are dangerous: despite some 'gentrification' there are still crack houses there, with the attendant petty theft and occasional shoot-outs. And drunks who wander Kensington Market at night do get mugged, no matter how cute and touristy it is in the daytime. :rolleyes: I know that one because my idiot sons were the ones mugged there last week. :P

On the other hand, there definitely are neighbourhoods that are remarkably safe. Not safe enough to leave your doors unlocked as a matter of habit :whistling:, but safe enough that if you come home drunk one night, you probably won't get mugged or stolen from if you do forget to lock up that one time. ;)

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Messages In This Thread
Michael Moore's "Sicko" is hot internet news - by ShadowHM - 06-19-2007, 05:04 PM