Networking questions
Quote:Again, thanks for the input.

Just a small update and followup question. It all works well, the printer, the stationary computer and the laptop (although we had the not so uncommon problem of forgetting to turn on the switch ont the computer case to actually start the radion unit, making it not be able to connect at all or find any net (there are a total of 6 other nets findable, some even totally unprotected)). So everything is fine. The two extra printers (USB ones) we can connect to the computers at need.

A small follow up, is there any general rule for shortest passwords one should pick? I mean, one can pick anything from 8 to 63 characters or something, but is there some recommended minimum? Does it really matter much? This applies to both the wirless net itself and the admin account on the router (which you actually have to type in when you connect and don't want 63 random characters to type). Yes I know I can have WIndows or the browser remember it, but don't want that. Is 10 character passwords just stupid (yes, they are somwhat random with both numbers and small and large letters although actually memorable).

I understand the password for the wireless network is for actually connecting to it, right, it has nothing to do with the encryption, right?
Now, back to cleaning my computer of all stuff that likes to run in the background, the stuff HP messed up my computer with and trying to figure out how to connect and configure my loudspeakers, gee, how can something so simple actually be so complicated?

Jarulf,

The wireless password is the encryption key. It bases the encryption off that. Use a passphrase as suggested by Kandrathe. Use a long random hex password if you use WEP (if you can - avoid WEP, it is easily cracked).

The admin password for the router should be fairly difficult to guess. Otherwise you may find that it kinda turns into someone else's router.

Not sure why you need to re login. Windows XP for one is real good at detecting a known network and remembering the key. Remember to go into wireless settings->Advanced and select infrastructure access points only and non-preferred networks (going on memory here). XP works better on wireless with those settings.

Yes - it is complicated, isn't it. Keeps me in a nice living.... :rolleyes:

HowGozit

Messages In This Thread
Networking questions - by Jarulf - 05-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Networking questions - by librarian - 05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Networking questions - by --Pete - 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Networking questions - by Flymo - 05-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Networking questions - by kandrathe - 05-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Networking questions - by yangman - 05-15-2007, 03:00 AM
Networking questions - by Jarulf - 05-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Networking questions - by HowGozit - 05-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Networking questions - by Jarulf - 05-23-2007, 07:36 AM