Networking questions
Again, thanks for the input.

Just a small update and followup question. It all works well, the printer, the stationary computer and the laptop (although we had the not so uncommon problem of forgetting to turn on the switch ont the computer case to actually start the radion unit, making it not be able to connect at all or find any net (there are a total of 6 other nets findable, some even totally unprotected)). So everything is fine. The two extra printers (USB ones) we can connect to the computers at need.

The only "problem" I have found so far is that everytime I make a change on the router settings by connecting to it (I think I actually have to change a seting so that it updates), my computers setting for loging in to my account automatically gets reset and I and up with the login screen to select account when I restart the computer. Quite annoying. I first blamed HP for it when installing the network printer but turns out they can't be blamed for that, although I am up in fumes over a LONG list of other stupidities by HP trying to just install the drivers for the printer. Oh well, that is another story.

A small follow up, is there any general rule for shortest passwords one should pick? I mean, one can pick anything from 8 to 63 characters or something, but is there some recommended minimum? Does it really matter much? This applies to both the wirless net itself and the admin account on the router (which you actually have to type in when you connect and don't want 63 random characters to type). Yes I know I can have WIndows or the browser remember it, but don't want that. Is 10 character passwords just stupid (yes, they are somwhat random with both numbers and small and large letters although actually memorable).

I understand the password for the wireless network is for actually connecting to it, right, it has nothing to do with the encryption, right?

Now, back to cleaning my computer of all stuff that likes to run in the background, the stuff HP messed up my computer with and trying to figure out how to connect and configure my loudspeakers, gee, how can something so simple actually be so complicated?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Messages In This Thread
Networking questions - by Jarulf - 05-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Networking questions - by librarian - 05-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Networking questions - by --Pete - 05-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Networking questions - by Flymo - 05-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Networking questions - by kandrathe - 05-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Networking questions - by yangman - 05-15-2007, 03:00 AM
Networking questions - by Jarulf - 05-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Networking questions - by HowGozit - 05-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Networking questions - by Jarulf - 05-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Networking questions - by kandrathe - 05-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Networking questions - by HowGozit - 05-24-2007, 12:13 PM