Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between
Quote:I can't say that I see 'Having to be charged with a crime within 9 (Or was it 12?) months of being detained' to be a very useful special loophole, there.

The bolded part in what you quoted places the burden of proof of innocence on the accused, rather than the accuser. You talked a lot about men being judged by their peers in the discussions revolving around the ICC, but oddly enough, your solution to the same caliber of issue at home, is 'Well, the guy's family should do a letter-writing campaign to free him.'

I wonder, does the bill specify where persons in question can be held, while detained? Syrian torture chambers, perhaps?
I am amused at your presumption that the Feds will be going out of their way to pick up random and innocent persons. Manpower and money is finite.

I will let you in on a thought: no matter how screwed up the law or provision, the people out in the field tend to take what they are doing seriously. While you are not able to avoid corruption and screw ups among federal agents or cops 100%, the guys on the ground don't like wasting their time chasing after and picking up people who aren't bad guys. OK, even regular cops sometimes pick up the wrong guy. Is it the exception or the rule?

Oh, wait, I am sorry, I forgot that "the government" is this monolithic entity that has only harassment of the innocent in its minds. The response to this measure, in terms of how the government persons in the field are portrayed, smells of the stereotyping of Navy Pilots got smeared with during the Tailhook Affair, even thos eof us (which was most of us) who weren't there. Thanks so much, all of you, for tar with the brush of the exception mind set" that is offered to the counter terrorism guys. I am sure they appreciate your support.

Bah.

As to who is eligible for this new provision: if citizenship incurs no advanatage to the citizan, what is its point, and what is the incentive for becoming one?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between - by Occhidiangela - 09-29-2006, 06:49 PM