Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between
Quote:Hi,

For the countries that planned, sanctioned, and executed the fire bombings of Dresden and Tokyo (among many others) to treat the attacks on London whether by bombers or V weapons as 'war crimes' would have been the hight of hypocrisy.

--Pete
My conclusion on the Nuremburg trials, about which I read quite a bit once I thought I was off to Gitmo to serve on comissions back in 2003/04, was that is was a kangaroo court based on just what you mention. This chasing down of people 50 years later in Cleveland pisses me off.

Where I actually went was a cleaner mission, for all its complexities and internal contradictions. I talked to a Marine major this spring who spent about a hear in country slightly after I left the theater.

One of his observations was a bitter jest along the liones of "destroying Fallujah to save it; but this time, there was a pretty big audience, none of whom were cheering." He had a few more things to say that are not printable, but he made one remark that caught me off guard. His personal decision to never again eat at

Pizza Hut
Subway
Burger King
Baskin Robbins.

At some of the larger bases in Iraq and elsewhere in the Mid East, these "touches of home" are standard fixtures, aimed at QOL of the troops.

It was his opinion that those four companies made money on the backs of dead Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, Marines and contractors in convoys all over Iraq that got hit by ambushes and IED's. We spent a long time talking about MSR's and the logistics of supporting the troops in the middle of Iraq.

"War crimes?" Smedley Butler wept. I am not sure if some of what has been going on over there constitutes a war crime, but what happens to the money is in some cases criminal, in others simply wasteful.

DR
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between - by Occhidiangela - 09-29-2006, 06:43 PM