Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between
Quote: ...
I agree the UN should have been the correct course, and waiting an additional year would have been desirable. One detractor of that line was the clamour to end sanctions, and with the corruption in the UN program it was failing anyway. There was already a lack of will in the UN to do anything more with Iraq. But, in hindsight, calling for better containment might have been a better, although less effective alternative. It is hard to predict what Iraq would be like today with him still in power. Look how bad things get though before the UN is willing to act... Rwanda... Darfur... Haiti... Abysmal. I'd say a very poor record. I personally, don't have much faith in the UN's ability to resolve issues. But, they were the correct vehicle to try to solve the problem.

I agree there is no evidence of a connection between the 9/11 Al Queda, and Iraq. But, there is evidence of Saddam embracing MEK (anti-Iranian), Zarqawi, other more secular anti-western terrorist groups (Syrian, Palestinian) , and recruiting and training non-Iraqi fighters in asymmetrical techniques within the Fedayeen Saddam brigade. There is circumstantial evidence of Iraqi connections outside of Iraq, but not so much external Al Queda presence inside of Iraq prior to the US invasion.

On the WMD front, it appeared then to be a toss up as to whether there was anything left and just another reason to topple the madman to be sure. For me it was not A, B, or C that were individually reasons, it was more A+B+C which was of concern. It was very unfortunate to see Powell at the UN try to paint the worst case scenario as fact. I also think Hans Blix adopted an attitude in UNMOVIC which caused distrust with the US, along with the fact that Saddam knew their moves before they left the hotel.

I'm not so convinced on the personal OIL and Greed motivation stuff. It seems to me that peace is more lucrative, but there might also be some strategic moves that are based on economic security. Had we allowed the French, and Russians to make their agreements with Saddam, and pumped the heck out of the region it would have only served to accelerate economic growth around the globe (as it was in the 1990's) . Cheap energy is the lubrication of a vibrant economy. And, I agree that Iraqi freedom must be self determined. We should get the wheel greased, provide the map and get the heck out with whatever dignity we have left. This doesn't mean we would never return if needed, but the more hands off we are the better.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
Senate report concludes: no proof of contact between - by kandrathe - 09-28-2006, 07:09 PM