Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux
Hi,

The reason I mentioned both the sex and violence was that I was trying to provide information that might help Doc decide whether it was a "bad" PG-13 or not. I almost mentioned the rum, not that I have any problem with my kid knowing about alcohol, but because its a factor that others might consider in deciding if the movie was appropriate for their children.

I know I've told the story of how my daughter came to see the Lord of the Rings here before, so hopefully those who don't want to read it again will skip to the next post.:)

Anyway, we didn't take her to see the Fellowship when it came out. We got a sitter and went to see it ourselves. Some time after that, I was listening to the soundtrack, and she started asking questions about what was happening in the movie during the different parts of the soundtrack. So, I told her the story. She had trouble keeping track of all the characters, so I got out an old Middle Earth RPG box to show her, and she proceeded to act out the story with the picture from the box and my wedding ring (heh).

It probably would have ended there, but she kept talking about the story. She would think of some aspect that she didn't remember or didn't understand, and would ask questions. So, we talked about it quite a bit.

That summer, we took a long car ride, and ShadowHM was kind enough to lend us her BBC radio version of the Lord of the Rings, plus The Hobbit IIRC. (The BBC version is very well done, by the way. I especially like the BBC version of Galadriel. It's also funny that the BBC version left out Tom Bombadil as well). It was the perfect thing for a long car ride, as it was something that we all enjoyed.

She was still interested in the story, so we read The Hobbit to her. When the Fellowship came out on DVD, we watched it together at home. By that point, it was December (or close to it), and the Two Towers was coming out. We went to see it once without her, but she was really interested in the movie and wanted to go. So, we saw it again, and took her with us.

Naturally, we didn't have a problem with her being bored or playing with her shoes or anything during the movie. She knows that if she wants to get taken to future movies, she'd better not act like that in the theatre, plus she was familiar with the story and interested in seeing it.

I do know several kids who get taken to horror movies and stuff like that, and I don't support that sort of thing. But, I guess it's important to keep in mind that not all kids in PG-13 movies are bored or traumatized by the experience.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete

Messages In This Thread
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Doc - 07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Doc - 07-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Nystul - 07-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Griselda - 07-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Doc - 07-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Drasca - 07-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Griselda - 07-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Bun-Bun - 07-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Nystul - 07-11-2006, 08:15 PM