Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux
If you get a chance, I recommend the latest Captain Jack Sparrow story. It was a load of fun, even if it was a bit long. (Two hours and 30 minutes.) If you can make a matinee show, why not save a buck or two? A few of the monsters lean to Peter Jackson's "gross" style. I would not take little ones to this show. The PG13 rating is spot on.

Its position as the first of two sequels does it some damage, IMO. It has to leave some plot elements unresolved for the next movie. The first film did not suffer from that shortcoming. It had an ending, not a cliffhanger last scene.

FWIW: Read the review at the Philadelphia Daily News for a laugh. A number of the rottentomatoes reviews grimace at the film's length and plot. The best short review was:
"Rum, monotany, and the lash."

That made me chortle. The tone in the "splat" reviews was that the production team, writers, and director had rather buggered the film. Sir Winston would likely agree. :whistling:

Some very mild spoilers.

1. The early story with various natives, pirates, escapes, bamboo, and coconuts seemed to me to be set on a South Sea Island. The multi-thousand foot volcanic cliffs and mountains had the look and feel of the Pacific, not the Caribbean. They shot at beautiful locations in any case.

2. Good voodoo witch lady.

3. The heroine seemed a little stiff.

4. The mixing of legends and mythologies was done, IMO, to exercise the SFX muscles. I didn't care for the story side of it, but the SFX crew pulled it off nicely.

5. Norrington's new place in life was a pleasant surprise.

6. Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow, the rascal of dubious moral backbone, was again a pleasure to behold.

7. Orlando BLoom's Will Turner seemed better fleshed out than in the first film.

8. Good SFX and music over all.

9. Some good jokes.

What was lacking:

a. An editor. Film was too long. Some of the fat was in the early "rescue" scene, but any number of actions scenes dragged on.

b. Good swordfighting. The duel / truel near the end was silly.

c. Substance for Elizabeth's role.

d. A reason Davy Jones, or any of his sailors, ever needs to sleep. Slight plot hole there. :P

e. Breading to fry up the Kraken for a nice dish of Krakamari. That would feed Port Royal for a month or so, I think, and go nicely with the beer and rum served at the tavern. :lol:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete

Messages In This Thread
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Occhidiangela - 07-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Doc - 07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Doc - 07-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Nystul - 07-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Griselda - 07-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Doc - 07-10-2006, 03:50 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean, part Deux - by Drasca - 07-10-2006, 04:29 AM