"Cleave" is a funny word that has opposite meanings
Winner of the Timeforbed Award!!

The Timeforbed Award is given, erratically and irregularly, to the post that best allows a good chuckle so that its readers may advance to dreamland in a positive-attitude state (as opposed to a Blue State*). Unfortunately, it is always awarded Late At Night, so the humor evaluation by the already-inept judge is impaired by a dampened sense of reality, sometimes causing a different effect and perspective once the sun rises.

The Winner is: Hammerskjold!
Roll the clip!

Quote: With all due respect, that's where you are sooooo wrong Pete. It doesn't take a cunning linguist like Doc to figure out that any language other than English is in fact, english in disguise. Sometimes more, sometimess less efficient, but they're all english basically. It's this simple fact that allows me to go to other countries that doesn't speak english, and let's me ask the natives where is the closest McDonald's. When they give me a quizzical look and pretend they don't understand, I just say it at a louder and slower pace. In english. Because sooner or later they'll drop the act and get savy with the program.
Gee, why are so many linguists described as cunning???

-V
Activity Coordinator
The Forsaken Inn

p.s. watch your tongue!

*Red States are "positive", because everything there is either positive or negative, and negatives are run off.

Messages In This Thread
"Cleave" is a funny word that has opposite meanings - by Vandiablo - 06-26-2006, 06:52 AM