A Tale of Woe
Hail Kasreyn,

I also started a (Concentrate) Barbarian in the thread "A Warrior Destined For Hell". If you would like, I could give you some feedback from a untwinked Barbarian's point of view. If you read the thread itself, it probably could help you quite a bit. A lot of people gave great advice for a Barbarian.

Whereas War Cry has definitely been a blessing for my Barbarian, I'm not quite sure if it would have the same effect for a Frezy Barb. To make up for the lack of defense, I would personally want to use Howl to scatter mobs out - instead of having them come back from the War Cry stun and pound on your character. Are you thinking the synergy damage boost from Taunt would be nice to weaken enemies with War Cry? If you max out War Cry and Taunt, War Cry does an impressive 360 damage. That would be nice to eliminate mobs in normal and nightmare runs. But from what I've heard (no experience yet), it wouldn't be enough for Hell. Also, in my point of view, I would want to focus on hitting more then casting with a Frezy Barb. If you don't pump up War Cry to higher levels you'll be casting it all the time in later difficulties to keep the stun on, and if you do pump up War Cry you'll have to deal with the 30 mana cost for casting it. Also, using Howl instead of War Cry would save you a lot of skill points. So that is what I wanted to say on War Cry.

Quote:I'm finding that cube formulae and gems are crucial to getting good weaponry for an untwinked melee character in Normal.

You couldn't be more right. The H.Cube recipes have allowed my character to progress through the game. The following recipes will aid you greatly:

1 Ral Rune + 1 Sol Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Normal Unique Weapon = Exceptional Version of Weapon
1 Ort Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal (Basic) Rare Weapon = Exceptional Rare Weapon

Quote: The only thing I can't decide is - should I keep my cold arrow Rogue for the long haul, or replace her with an A2 spear merc?

Untill you get to the point where your damage is significantly increased by the NM Act 2 Might Merc, I would suggesting staying with a control mercenary. The freeze NM Act 2 Merc or the Act 3 Ice Merc would greatly help your group encounters.

Quote:Strategizing and planning a build is certainly tougher when you can't plan for a certain drool-worthy runeword you already own...

I've never twinked my characters in any RPGs I play, but I could imagine how different the game would be by twinking them. So far the feeling of accomplishment has been worth getting my current Barbarian through the game untwinked. But I hope your character goes well. Be sure to keep us updated on Ginsu.

Take care,
MonTy

P.S. - If you don't mind, what did you end up using for your mule needs?

*edit - I might just have had the longest run-on sentance in all of history.

Messages In This Thread
A Tale of Woe - by Kasreyn - 06-20-2006, 05:04 AM
A Tale of Woe - by MonTy - 06-20-2006, 05:26 AM
A Tale of Woe - by librarian - 06-20-2006, 09:27 AM
A Tale of Woe - by Hammerskjold - 06-23-2006, 06:09 AM
A Tale of Woe - by Kasreyn - 06-25-2006, 05:42 PM
A Tale of Woe - by MonTy - 06-25-2006, 06:23 PM
A Tale of Woe - by Hammerskjold - 06-26-2006, 05:28 AM
A Tale of Woe - by Occhidiangela - 06-26-2006, 07:34 PM
A Tale of Woe - by Kasreyn - 06-30-2006, 01:06 AM
A Tale of Woe - by Fragbait - 06-30-2006, 08:45 AM
A Tale of Woe - by librarian - 06-30-2006, 09:20 AM