Tell me about buying a home for the first time
Hi DeeBye

Two things worthy of mention are the home inspection and zoning.

A detailed home inspection will uncover any surprises that you might find to your sorrow later. It could be a leaky basement, aged and/or faulty wiring, etc. There might even be problems that the city will require you to fix at their scheduling, not yours. You should hire the inspector, not the current home owners. And don't let the pressure of a competition for a house you like a lot cause you to waive that one.

As you review homes for sale, ask your real estate agent/tour guide about what the area has as its current zoning as well as any proposals before city council for changing it. You will be interested to know if there might be a new high-rise nearby soon, that will take away the sunshine that fills that back yard. Or if that open space nearby will soon be filled with cheek-by-jowl townhouses.

Ask about the city rules on fence cost sharing. It is no fun to find that your neighbour wants to build a fence of a style you loathe and then find that you are required to pay for half of it.

The bank / mortgager will fill you in on all the legal expenditures that you will face.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Messages In This Thread
Tell me about buying a home for the first time - by ShadowHM - 05-30-2006, 12:28 PM