some extracted columns
Heiho,

first, there is nothing special in Goatmen's AI I'm aware of.
You can check it using Nefarius AI Compendium, which is by now a downloadable *.pdf file, Version 0.5.
monstats.txt lists only some parameters more or less covered in monai.txt, and monai.txt is just a commentary file (which sadly is not so much commentaring), most of AI stuff is hardcoded. Even the aidist column in monstats.txt is empty, the parameter columns aside there is only the aidel column and the threat column which are related to behaviour of units.

It's a wild guess, but I think it was a bosspack of goatmen chasing you. I've noticed often that the bossminion AI is a bit different, minions will follow the routines of their boss. Usually it's good enough to disturb a chasing monster via some obstacle, and the hireling usually fulfills the role of an obstacle. Along with a bosspack the boss itself must be disturbed, because its minions will ignore any obstacle and try to home at the target the boss determines.

If it wasn't a bosspack I'm lost and can only give some gibberish advice like 'surely it was lag', 'your hireling really studied some fine piece of masonry some yards behind you' or 'your smell was more attractive to goats like the one of your hireling'. Well, you've got the idea ...
<edit>
uh-oh. heiho BeB, I really haven't noticed your answer oO
</edit>

side note: Prayer aside I have a very similar build. As you may know from Basin readings I'm a big fan of Conversion. Works fine for me, and I even don't have a melee hireling but a Rogue. Her job, killing of LIs aside, is mainly to disturb enemies all the time, so she wears Face of Horror.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB

Messages In This Thread
some extracted columns - by librarian - 04-27-2006, 10:27 PM
some extracted columns - by librarian - 05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
some extracted columns - by ShadowHM - 05-04-2006, 11:34 AM
some extracted columns - by bigeyedbug - 05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
some extracted columns - by librarian - 05-04-2006, 05:58 PM
some extracted columns - by bigeyedbug - 05-04-2006, 06:45 PM