Blizzard Hates Pirates!
Blizzard Hates Pirates

With an undocumented change, the 1.10 patch demonstrates once again that Blizzard hates pirates. Six months ago, I and a group of friends decided to become Bloodsail Buccaneers so that we could each don the distinctive Bloodsail Admiral's Hat. We had a blast and the story of our adventures can be found at the Lurker Lounge:

The Adventures of Neriad: Yarrrr!

We went into this knowing full well what the immediate consequences would be. We knew that we wouldn't be able to enter any goblin towns, get quests from goblins, or buy any recipes or other items from goblins. It was a little annoying having to run for my life every time I landed in Gadgetzan and not being able to use the flight path from Gadgetzan to Silithus. (I could use the flight path if I was willing to kill the Gadgetzan bruisers who guard the flight master, but I would like to get my reputation with the goblins back at some point, so I want to keep what reputation I have left with Gadgetzan). But on the whole, it all seemed worth it to be able to wear the hat, and it was.

However, in the coming months, Blizzard has shown its bias toward goblin lovers and its bias against those loyal to the Bloodsail Buccaneers. The first step was the introduction of the Stranglethorn Vale Fishing Extravaganza. Goblin lovers everywhere could fish Tastyfish around STV and gain fabulous prizes from the accursed Baron Revilgaz for their efforts. Meanwhile, no effort was made to allow Bloodsail Buccaneers to participate or disrupt the contest. What's more, no quest was added to allow Bloodsail Buccaneers to hand in Tastyfish to the fleet. This seemed most unfair, since wouldn't pirates also appreciate the taste of succulent fish?

[Image: BlizzardHatesPirates.jpg]

But the most aggregious step taken against the Bloodsail Buccaneers was slipped into the 1.10 patch without even a mention in the patch notes. Steamwheedle Bruisers were added to the top of all of the zeppelin towers in the game. Their only purpose seems to be to harass those loyal to the Bloodsail Buccaneers and attempt to keep them from using the zeppelins. And when I say Steamwheedle Bruisers, these aren't the pesky but largely harmless guards you see in Gadgetzan. These guys are elites who use nets and break out those annoying guns that send you flying into the air. One time, I rushed onto a zeppelin (after waiting several minutes below the tower) and got hit so many times by bruiser guns, I got shot completely off the zeppelin!

This addition seems to have no benefit in the game other than to harass Bloodsail Buccaneers, and I don't see how Thrall or Sylvanis could stand to have their loyal heroes harassed in this way while trying to use the major transportation device between their capital cities and the outpost of Grom'Gul. The following changes should be made:

1. The Steamwheedle Bruisers should be removed as a bad idea and replaced with orcs and undead guards. After all, it makes sense that Thrall and Sylvanis would want to guard their strategic transportation hubs even if the goblins are the ones running them.

2. Players friendly with the Bloodsail Buccaneers should be able to turn in Tastyfish to the fleet and get prizes and rewards.

3. More quests and rewards should be given out by the Bloodsail Buccaneers. Maybe even make a few recipes or patterns available such that guilds will want to have a few Bloodsail Buccaneers in their ranks.

4. Create a [Pirate] language that only those friendly with the Bloodsail Buccaneers could understand. All other players would see a random selection of "Arrrr...", "Ahoy, Matie!" and "Shiver me timbers!" Alternatively, an item could be quested (perhaps a pirate coat) that would allow the person to speak and understand [Pirate].

Finally, there may be some of you who have never become a Bloodsail Buccaneer and are saying, "Just get back to friendly with the goblins." If you're one of them, I don't think you realize what a time consuming task that is. All mobs that you can kill for faction only give 1 reputation to a given goblin faction and 1/2 point spillover reputation to the others. 42,000-84,000 mobs is a lot of pirates or wastewanders to kill just to get back to neutral. The fastest way to get faction back is to kill the low level pirates near Ratchet. (Yes, I know about the repeatable goblin quests in Ferales, but the reputation gain is too small for the time it takes to complete them). I and my friends have the system down, but 42,000 (84,000 if we want neutral with Booty Bay) is still a lot of pirates to kill over time, even if they are only level 15-17. All role playing and lightheartedness aside, I don't see why we should be forced to do that just to use the zeppelins unmolested.

Messages In This Thread
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by MongoJerry - 03-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by Zarathustra - 03-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by lemekim - 03-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by MongoJerry - 03-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by Arnulf - 03-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by Shriek - 03-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by lemekim - 03-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by lfd - 03-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by MongoJerry - 03-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by MongoJerry - 03-18-2006, 04:26 AM
Blizzard Hates Pirates! - by MongoJerry - 04-03-2006, 05:27 PM