defragmenting my HD
Has anyone tried defragging their hard drive and found that the WoW files wouldn't defrag? I defragged tonight. The drive has about 20 gigs of files on a 28 gig drive. It defragged everything except four files, all from WoW. This is the end of the report.

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fragments       File Size       Files that cannot be defragmented
21              634 MB          \xxxxxxxx\games\worldofwarcraft\Data\texture.MPQ
31              675 MB          \xxxxxxxx\games\worldofwarcraft\Data\sound.MPQ
93              1.02 GB         \xxxxxxxx\games\worldofwarcraft\Data\terrain.MPQ
198             1.53 GB         \xxxxxxxx\games\worldofwarcraft\Data\patch.MPQ
Any ideas as to what the problem might be? I'm thinking I might need to uninstall WoW, defrag again and reinstall. Not only would that be time consuming, but then I would have to patch as well again. I really would rather not have to go to that extent, but it has gotten very slow to load new areas (like the other continent on the boat) or an instance. I am assuming that is largely because of the fragmentation.

Hmm, another idea. I have my drive backed up on an external drive (it's not a ghost, essentially a straight copy). Would it work to delete the WoW directory (not uninstall), defrag the drive and copy the WoW directory back?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."

Messages In This Thread
defragmenting my HD - by LochnarITB - 02-01-2006, 03:41 PM
defragmenting my HD - by Legedi - 02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
defragmenting my HD - by Concillian - 02-01-2006, 04:39 PM
defragmenting my HD - by Xanthix - 02-01-2006, 05:38 PM