Help
:( I have just started playing diablo I (love it so far) But having a bit of a probelm.......Don't laugh at problem....lol :huh: I have made my Persona..(rogue)...went to the first dungeon...and on level 4 of it....and can't find the next level down...ran into bongo i think is his name can't defeat him...but what do i do next? can anyone help...
Thanks
Hi,

Well, you really need to give more info.

First, are you playing single player? If so, then you've probably got the Tavern Sign quest. The squeaker your talking to is Snotspill, IIRC, not Bongo.

I'd suggest you go talk to the people in town (hint, especially Ogden). Also, if you've saved your game before meeting Snotspill, I'd suggest you reload from there and actually *listen* to what he has to say.

If you want more help than this (i.e., spoilers) or if you are not playing single player, then post again. Because we can't help you much with what little you've said.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

*edited*

Didn't like my answer after reading Pete's.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Then I think its just some boss blocking your stairs, try to get some help if you have trouble passing him.

I do suspect though, that you are playing SP and its Snotspill, do what Pete said, and you'll be fine.
"It burns because its burning!"
I wonder if anyone has tried to teleport to the stairs in the Tavarn Sign quest and carried the sign with them for the remainder of the game :)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Even if you try to teleport (You typically cant find that spell that early) I don't recall the stairs being "open" and even transitable until the sign is presented to Snotspill.

Been a while.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
You cant teleport to an area that you cant normally reach by foot, simple as that, for example: In the caves, you can teleport over the lava flows instead of walking around, but if there was no way to walk around, you couldnt teleport.....

The stairs behind snotspill are completely surrounded by walls and a closed door, you cant teleport there......
Hi,

You cant teleport to an area that you cant normally reach by foot, simple as that

No. You *can* Teleport to places you can't reach by foot. For instance, you can teleport into Diablo's room before you open it with the switches. So, your analysis is useless since you didn't bother to check your facts.

Please, if you don't know, don't post that you do. We'd all rather know that we don't know than be fed BS by someone who claims to know and is clueless. If you *think* something is true, then say so. And if you don't know what you know, then . . .

--Pete

Occhi:
Quote:Even if you try to teleport (You typically cant find that spell that early) I don't recall the stairs being "open" and even transitable until the sign is presented to Snotspill.

Results from Hellfire:
Teleporting into the gated-off area behind Snotspill is allowed.
The stairs function regardless of whether the gates/walls are open.
Thus, transportation spells like Warp, Phasing, and Teleport can be used to skip Snotspill and proceed to dlvl 5.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Well, I guess I really didnt play D1 in a long time.

Oh well, I wont post eny BS I'm not sure of enymore, got to be a little carefull whith what I say....
Hi,

Grabbed a mage that had gone through the game once and started a new game. Used teleport to get him down to level 4 fast. Got lucky in that I got the Tavern Sign quest on my first try. Got up next to the wall and teleported onto the stairs to 5 with no problem.

--Pete

You don't have to give the tavern sign to Snotspill - if you forgot, give it to Ogden for a Harlequin Crest - unique helmet:)
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Why would you give it to Snotspill in the first place? :)

It's simple enough to carry the Sign around. Either dump it in town or never speak to Ogden ever again. The Harlequin Crest is hardly a spectacular piece of headgear IIRC.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
A few thoughts on this.

Interesting that the 'second time through guy,' having found Teleport on a deeper level in the previous run from 1-16 could get through. Trouble is, I don't think you will tend to find Teleport books, or even be able to buy them, by that level in SP, though I will have to check Jarulf's guide to sort out qlvl/ilvl on the book. They might spawn at Adria's that early, but for some reason my brain thinks not. Will check Jarulf's Guide.

From Lemming:

Quote:Thus, transportation spells like Warp, Phasing, and Teleport can be used to skip Snotspill and proceed to dlvl 5.

I think I might have once found a Phasing (Warp is not in D1 pre Hellfire) book by dlvl four, but maybe not. Too far back. So Phasing might be the rather chaotic answer. :)

However, if one has completed SP, and wants to do it in SP NM via the usual "create a nm MP" then make an SP NM workaround, then I see how this would be a useful trick. :)

Damn, it really has been a while since I had that game open . . .
In Memory of Pete
Teleport: Book and Scroll qlvl 14, Staff qlvl 12.

Phase: Book qlvl 7 scroll and staff 6. That for sure you can have bought at Adria by level 4 of the dungeon, as her ilvl = 6 on dlvl's 1-4. Your char Ilvl is, IIRC, not that important in item generation in SP at the stores.

Library book and Skeleton Tome
Book: 20%
Scroll: 80%
 Only scrolls of Apocalypse, Healing, Identify, Infravision, Nova, Mana Shield, Phasing, Teleport, and Town Portal are possible.
 Library books and Skeleton Tomes can only exist in church and catacombs

OK, Teleport should be findable, if ilvl gets up high enough. Trouble is, the Dungeon Level of four, even if doubled for chests, still yields an Ilvl of 8. Good enough for Phase, not for Teleport.

Decapitated body, sarcophagus, on the ground4, bookcase, skeleton tome, library book and racks 2·dlvl

I suppose that you could, in theory, get a qlvl 8 item, so you would not get any Teleport item from the dungeon by dlvl 4.

chest, barrel, pod, urn 2·dlvl or dlvl

Could a boss have it in SP?

unique monster and special monster mlvlitem (There should be a 4 bonus.)

Range of qlvl for spell on staves from unique and special monster: 1 to [(ilvl+4/)2]

 Spells at the start of the list will have a higher probability than those later in the list. The exact cut off depends on the ilvl. This means that there will be two different levels of probabilities for the spells, a higher one for spells at the start of the list and a lower one for spells at the end of the list. At rare occasions all spells will have the same probability.

Phasing is position 8 and teleport position 16, but these are not ILVLS, but it seems that Phase would drop more often anyway due to its position on the list.

Specifically, if you find a book, the range of qlvl for spell on books:

1 to ilvl/2 At dungeon levels 1-4, Teleport is right out, and Phase seems pretty unlikely.
Looks like a Phase scroll or staff is all that is possible in SP by that point.

If you are in dlvl 1 -4 Adria's ilvl = 6 ({re Snotspill, your max could be 4.)

Adria
Range of qlvl for base item: 1 to ilvl
Range of qlvl for spell (staff or book): 1 to ilvl

After scrolling through all of the little boss pack leaders, the highest mlvl for items I could find on any of the SP monsters, the special little bosses, was 7. So, no Teleport from them, but maybe a Phase staff, Book or Scroll. Even if we added a 4 bonus, that still falls one short of the 12 needed for the lowest possible Teleport qlvl requirement.

In short, I conclude that in SP, a first time through player simply cannot get his hands on Teleport, but he could phase his way past Snotspill if the drops went correctly or Adria was feeling generous.

So, to answer the question originally posted: While you can't Teleport past Snotsipll in SP in the normal progression of SP (i.e, starting from the beginning and working down towards Diablo in the SP story), simply because you can't get your hands on Teleport to do it, you can get past him with Phase without having to give Ogden his sign back.

Now, if only Ogden's Sign could be used as a weapon, then you would have to make a decision . . . :)

*thinks he is gonna install Diablo I this next weekend . . . maybe.
In Memory of Pete
In town, you are dead on. Adria will be able to a phasing staff, but none of the other items. Shopping Adria for a phasing staff would be the best way to expect to pull off this *cough* silly and useless *cough* strategy.

In the dungeons, the hopes are downright slim. Leoric at mlvl 9+4 would be able to cough up a phasing staff, if he didn't always drop the Undead Crown. The other bosses I think are no higher than 7+4, as you said. From floor or container, you can get phasing scrolls on dlvl 4. You won't get a book or staff though, since these items have qlvl in range (1 to ilvl/2) in the dungeon. To actually get a book of teleport, we are talking about late caves or hell.

Getting phasing to land you in a small room like that is not an easy feat either!
Certain chests dropp items based on 2*ilvl. Maybe I just read it incorrectly.

From Para 3.8, the first table, it shows that for

decapitated body, sarcophagus, on the ground, bookcase, skeleton tome, library book and racks

are dlvl*2. That would allow up to ilvl 8, so possibly Phasing items. However, I may have missed a note or a sub paragraph that modified that. Must be another paragraph that tells me that only ilvl = dlvl can drop scrolls, for example.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Quote:Most chests, barrels, pods and urns have an ilvl equal to 2·dlvl, although some have it equal to dlvl. Those that have the ilvl equal to dlvl will only generate potions and scrolls (and oils in Hellfire). See chapter 3.8.1 for more information. Items created with an ilvl = dlvl are referred to as special items in this chapter.

So, for the chests that are ilvl = dlvl, yes, ilvl no greater than 4, but for the other drop generation, ilvl can equal = 2*dlvl. The language does not tell me that a ilvl=2*dlvl cannot drop scrolls and potions, or again, maybe I missed a subtle shade of meaning on that.

You are however correct that it is a most variant sort of activity to force one's self to use phase to avoid the SnotSpill challenge. :)
In Memory of Pete
Certain chests dropp items based on 2*ilvl. Maybe I just read it incorrectly.

From Para 3.8, the first table, it shows that for

decapitated body, sarcophagus, on the ground, bookcase, skeleton tome, library book and racks

are dlvl*2. That would allow up to ilvl 8, so possibly Phasing items.

If by "Phasing items" you mean "scrolls of phasing" then yes. Otherwise no :) Your determination of ilvl is right here, but the qlvl range of spells on books and staffs from any source in the dungeon (after +4 bonus is added for bosses) is from 1 to ilvl/2. So to get a phasing staff you will need a source with at least ilvl 12, and to get phasing book you will need a source with at least ilvl 14. Ilvl 8 won't get it done.

Somehow I read phasing scroll as qlvl 7 instead of 6, so those should be findable at Adria and also fairly common on dlvl 3-4, and with some shopping one might snag a phasing staff at Adria.

As I think back to my first time playing single player, Snotspill's ambush almost knocked me out of my chair. Maybe not quite as terrifying as opening the Butcher's door for the first time, but it caught me by surprise. I think it is also my favorite quest in terms of funny sound bites, although the competition is strong!
. . . was classic, as there is so much one did not know about the game. My real !!!! moment was the first time I ran into the spitter pack just after I had earned Guardian in the chamber of Bones. I had never cast Guardian, and thought it would be a protection spell. (Had never read the Strategy guide, had never read the Jarulf guide . . .) well, I cast Guardian after I had opened the door. A few yellow balls of acid later, I was dead, but what I had thought had killed me was the dragon on the floor of the room with the spitter pack.

I eventually went down and dispatched the pack, but I never did find that damn dragon. On the next level down, I cast guardian in prep of opening another door, and was rewarded with that damned dragon again, except he did not attack me. :) And at that moment I slapped my forehead. It had never attacked me in that spitter room either!

That first time through was simply great. Shooting Holy Bolts at demons and realizing that it was not working, hitting goat shrines and wondering why my mana had shrunk . . . something blissful about innocence . . .

Maybe we know too much . . . :P
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 3 2003, 09:57 PM Wrote:So, for the chests that are ilvl = dlvl, yes, ilvl no greater than 4, but for the other drop generation, ilvl can equal = 2*dlvl.  The language does not tell me that a ilvl=2*dlvl cannot drop scrolls and potions, or again, maybe I missed a subtle shade of meaning on that.
Normal chests can indeed drop both potions and scrolls (and any other item). The special ones drop only potions or scrolls though.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.