Iron Sky - Space Nazi Steampunk
Is anyone else un-naturally excited for this movie?
Iron Sky - Trailer

Synopsis: Nazis live on the moon, and they look awesome. They're invading. Somehow Sarah Palin is President of the USA.
I watched that trailer, and I can't decide if the movie is supposed to be "serious" or "lolserious"

The trailer said it was supposed to be out 2 months ago. i wonder what's up with that.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(06-13-2012, 03:48 PM)shoju Wrote: I watched that trailer, and I can't decide if the movie is supposed to be "serious" or "lolserious"

The trailer said it was supposed to be out 2 months ago. i wonder what's up with that.

It's German, apparently. So it could be out in Europe. I don't know how big of a release it'll get in the US, if at all.
A german movie about Nazi's?!

Color me surprised.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(06-13-2012, 02:06 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: Is anyone else un-naturally excited for this movie?
Iron Sky - Trailer

Synopsis: Nazis live on the moon, and they look awesome. They're invading. Somehow Sarah Palin is President of the USA.

It's not steampunk unless those spaceships are powered by steam technology that they don't show.

Borrowing from the Wikipedia article:

Quote:Steampunk is a genre which originated during the 1980s and early 1990s and incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, horror, and speculative fiction. It involves a setting where steam power is widely used—whether in an alternate history such as Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States, or in a post-apocalyptic time —that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. This technology includes such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the contemporary authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld and China Mieville.

Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine.

Steampunk also refers to art, fashion, and design that are informed by the aesthetics of Steampunk literature.[1] Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.
(06-13-2012, 05:08 PM)Tal Wrote:
(06-13-2012, 02:06 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: Is anyone else un-naturally excited for this movie?
Iron Sky - Trailer

It's not steampunk unless those spaceships are powered by steam technology that they don't show.

Borrowing from the Wikipedia article:

Quote:Steampunk is a genre which originated during the 1980s and early 1990s and incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, horror, and speculative fiction. It involves a setting where steam power is widely used—whether in an alternate history such as Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States, or in a post-apocalyptic time —that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. This technology includes such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the contemporary authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld and China Mieville.

Other examples of steampunk contain alternative history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine.

Steampunk also refers to art, fashion, and design that are informed by the aesthetics of Steampunk literature.[1] Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.

I realized after posting that calling it steampunk was probably the wrong phrase to use. It's more of a "World War Weird" style, specifically the way the Nazis look. There is some similarity to the general styles, but it isn't steampunk, per se.
(06-13-2012, 06:09 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: I realized after posting that calling it steampunk was probably the wrong phrase to use. It's more of a "World War Weird" style, specifically the way the Nazis look. There is some similarity to the general styles, but it isn't steampunk, per se.

Sorry I work in libraries and write in the SF/Fan field and ever since Steampunk has become more popular it feels like everyone is trying to attract interest to a project by calling it Steampunk when it has very little do with Steampunk. I'll try to be less sensitive about it. Smile
(06-13-2012, 06:27 PM)Tal Wrote:
(06-13-2012, 06:09 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: I realized after posting that calling it steampunk was probably the wrong phrase to use. It's more of a "World War Weird" style, specifically the way the Nazis look. There is some similarity to the general styles, but it isn't steampunk, per se.

Sorry I work in libraries and write in the SF/Fan field and ever since Steampunk has become more popular it feels like everyone is trying to attract interest to a project by calling it Steampunk when it has very little do with Steampunk. I'll try to be less sensitive about it. Smile

Don't worry! It's good to be passionate about your field. No insult taken =)
I watched this movie last week. It was pretty entertaining, but it had a lot of super cheesy parts (like a black man in whiteface).
(06-13-2012, 03:48 PM)shoju Wrote: I watched that trailer, and I can't decide if the movie is supposed to be "serious" or "lolserious"

It's not serious. That's not to say it's just a huge gag reel, but it definitely doesn't take itself seriously.

The special effects were surprisingly good.
Is it out in theatres? Is it available on DVD? I want to see it, but haven't heard anything about it, and can't find a theater..

Though I just tried to read the comments on IMDB about the movie, and it turned into some Anti-America VS loud mouth American debate that gave me a headache.
(06-14-2012, 01:19 PM)shoju Wrote: Is it out in theatres? Is it available on DVD? I want to see it, but haven't heard anything about it, and can't find a theater..

Though I just tried to read the comments on IMDB about the movie, and it turned into some Anti-America VS loud mouth American debate that gave me a headache.

I saw the movie last night, and here's my brief review:
It's lolSerious.
All of the Americans seem like caricatures of what (I assume) Europeans think Americans are (I say this as an American).
That being said, a lot of the scenes with the US President are really funny.
The special effects are okay, and in general the acting is passable.
The film won't win any awards, but there's worse ways to spend 90 minutes.
(06-14-2012, 01:19 PM)shoju Wrote: Is it out in theatres? Is it available on DVD? I want to see it, but haven't heard anything about it, and can't find a theater.

This is why I am really frustrated with the movie industry as a whole, and also why I love bittorrent. There are tons of interesting movies out there, but no way for some people to actually pay to watch them. I worked in a store that sold retail DVDs for years and I would get disgusted when release dates for some of these obscure gems came around and we wouldn't get any to actually sell to people (note: I had no say in what DVDs we carried whatsoever). Sometimes we would get them months later in a bargain bin, but more often than not we'd never get them at all.

Really great movies like Sunshine, Children of Men, and Moon are excellent examples. I live in a decent-sized city and no local theatres were showing any of them. When the DVD release day came around, the store I worked in never got them. So I did the only thing I could do (other than not watch them at all) - I downloaded them via bittorrent. I eventually bought all three films on DVD six months to a year later - always in a bargain bin for less than $10 (which I almost hated, because I would absolutely have paid the $20+ full retail price for these movies on the release day).

I guess it sounds like I'm rationalizing movie piracy, but I'm really not. Movies are made so people can see them. Movies are also made so movie-makers can make money. The latter can't happen unless the former happens. This is sort of why I love to post reviews of some of these obscure gems on the Lounge - to get people to go out and find a way to buy them so similar movies get made.

edit: I will definitely buy Iron Sky when I see it for sale in physical form (either DVD or Blu-ray)
(06-15-2012, 03:10 AM)DeeBye Wrote: This is why I am really frustrated with the movie industry as a whole, and also why I love bittorrent. There are tons of interesting movies out there, but no way for some people to actually pay to watch them. I worked in a store that sold retail DVDs for years and I would get disgusted when release dates for some of these obscure gems came around and we wouldn't get any to actually sell to people (note: I had no say in what DVDs we carried whatsoever). Sometimes we would get them months later in a bargain bin, but more often than not we'd never get them at all.

Really great movies like Sunshine, Children of Men, and Moon are excellent examples. I live in a decent-sized city and no local theatres were showing any of them. When the DVD release day came around, the store I worked in never got them. So I did the only thing I could do (other than not watch them at all) - I downloaded them via bittorrent. I eventually bought all three films on DVD six months to a year later - always in a bargain bin for less than $10 (which I almost hated, because I would absolutely have paid the $20+ full retail price for these movies on the release day).

I guess it sounds like I'm rationalizing movie piracy, but I'm really not. Movies are made so people can see them. Movies are also made so movie-makers can make money. The latter can't happen unless the former happens. This is sort of why I love to post reviews of some of these obscure gems on the Lounge - to get people to go out and find a way to buy them so similar movies get made.

edit: I will definitely buy Iron Sky when I see it for sale in physical form (either DVD or Blu-ray)

Your local library is your friend.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
My local library is not my friend. It is the worst collection of corrupt backstabbing weasels I have ever seen. I wont set foot back in there.
(06-15-2012, 01:13 PM)shoju Wrote: My local library is not my friend. It is the worst collection of corrupt backstabbing weasels I have ever seen. I wont set foot back in there.

You owe a fine?
If only it was just a fine. The library ended up in a budget crunch, and since then, the politics and maneuvering has made it worthless. I don't think that the library will be around in 3 years. By then, it will have devoured itself
(06-15-2012, 04:27 AM)LavCat Wrote: Your local library is your friend.

I'm not sure I understand this reply. If you are suggesting that my local library has all of these DVDs available for loan you are mistaken. If you are suggesting that I stop watching movies and use my library for books instead, we get into a media slap-fight.
(06-16-2012, 04:27 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(06-15-2012, 04:27 AM)LavCat Wrote: Your local library is your friend.

I'm not sure I understand this reply. If you are suggesting that my local library has all of these DVDs available for loan you are mistaken. If you are suggesting that I stop watching movies and use my library for books instead, we get into a media slap-fight.

Your library should have those DVD's/Blu-rays available for loan. If it doesn't, don't make fun of us for our lack of health care.
(06-16-2012, 04:34 AM)LavCat Wrote: Your library should have those DVD's/Blu-rays available for loan.

Your library has every obscure movie available for loan on the DVD release date? That's incredible. I wish my library was like that.

(06-16-2012, 04:34 AM)LavCat Wrote: If it doesn't, don't make fun of us for our lack of health care.

Canada has the internet, which means I can pretty much get every movie for free. I just get annoyed when I actually want to pay money for a movie I like and cannot because it's not locally available.

I'm not sure what to say about the health care thing.