The Lurker Lounge Forums
OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Lurker Games (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Diablo II (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? (/thread-9972.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - protoshoggoth - 11-02-2003

My rogues in Diablo were in the "Totentanz" series (Totentanz Jr, Totentanz III, etc.). I've continued that with Amazons in D2. During my tenure on the Europe server I had a couple people start talking to me in German. :)

I also like to use old D&D names. No one ever comments. I can't believe no one remembers Eclavdra and Divolg from the Vault of the Drow module.

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - CelticHound - 11-02-2003

jms,Nov 1 2003, 09:35 PM Wrote:lol: Alas, this has already been done: Queer Duck

At first I thought you were referring to The first case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard Anas platyrhynchos

While I'm on the subject, three Swedish researchers report that "Chickens Prefer Beautiful Humans."

-- CH

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - jms - 11-02-2003

It's only a logical extension for this thread to turn into a swapping of scientific links scarcely relating to the sexual and behavioral tendencies of mallards, right?

Thanks (:blink:) for directing my attention to those links! Please allow me to turn your attention towards the "duck-billed dinosaur"

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - gimlisam - 11-02-2003

I have 2 names that I think are clever. The first is a werebear "tank" druid named McNamara, and the second is a bone Necromancer named os_em (pronounced awesome). Note: these are both Single Player characters, so I don't know if they already exist on b-net.

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Refrigerator - 11-02-2003

Os-em... haha. Now, I know 'Os' is bone in latin, but what is em?

McNamara.... I just don't know. Why McNamara?

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Lord_Olf - 11-02-2003

Hail Kartoffelsalat,

not meant as a criticism (hey, English is my second, language, so I'll be careful there :) ); "iron horse" in German would be "Eisenpferd", not Isenpferd.

So. I'll hope you'll correct me when I post something wrong in English...

Greetings,

Lord_Olf

Hail,

as for me, I try to either class my Char names by what I want them to do (Multa, Latin for "much", female gender, as my Multishot Amazon), or by giving theme names making a referrence to their class. My HC Ladder Paladins are (or were) Gut-Tun (died to lag), Gut-TunII (died to Diablo's LBOD) and Gut-TunIII (has to make it to the Den of Evil yet). Explanation: Gut-Tun is (stylized *coughs*, I'm German, I MAY mess around with my mother tongue :) ) for "Do good", which I thought fitting for a Paladin. "Varianna" was a name I used for a tri-elementalist sorc (thought it was a nice name variation of "variable anna", methought).

Anyway, quite refreshing to see no uber-build names like "Azz-Kikr" ('scuse my bad language) or something similar along those lines in this thread... God, I feels good to be back in the Lounge...

Greetings,
Lord_Olf

EDIT: Should use the Preview Post feature... typos...

Hail Refrigerator,

I think in Latin it would be "Clerus". The ending "-us" in Latin usually indicates a noun of male gender, also I am not sure if there might be exceptions. In the female gender, there are, for example "pirata" ("-a" usually inidcating a noun of female gender) meaning "pirates", which at that time and through most of recorded history, I think, were males. Still, why not use another language a little creatively? I remember once having a barb named "Semerijin", a rather free use of Japanese, meaning "He who attacks". This compound of two words ("semeru" for the verb "attack" in composite form an "jin" for "human") is perfectly correct, I just don't know if it really exists in Japanese. Any native speakers on the Lounge?.

Greetings,
Lord_Olf
(who wonders why he just posted a (hopefully correct) correction (DUH?) of a Latin word and has still flunked his Latin course at University for the second time running)

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Kartoffelsalat - 11-02-2003

I should have known that! I speak German better than I write it.

Oh well, maybe my next character will be something more intimidating, like Zinnhuhn. Er... maybe not. :P

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Nadreck - 11-02-2003

http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?stem=pirat&en Wrote:pirata -ae m. [pirate].

piraticus -a -um [piratical]; f. as subst. [piracy].
So pirata is one of those masculine first declension nouns. And that's the singular form, the plural is piratae.

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - true_dweomer - 11-03-2003

My current paladin on US_East is Henry_Kissinger. I don't know why. I have a ladder necro on Europe named Vince_Lombardi, but he's a summoner so that makes some sense.

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - gimlisam - 11-03-2003

Refrigerator,Nov 2 2003, 09:06 PM Wrote:Os-em... haha.  Now, I know 'Os' is bone in latin, but what is em?

McNamara....  I just don't know.  Why McNamara?
With the "em" part, well, it's just a contraction of them. McNamara is a reference to an old comic strip where the main character was an ex-football (American, not soccer [real] football) player by the name of Tank McNamara. I'm glad you got the os part, although I was thinking in French, not Latin, for that.

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Medicine Man - 11-03-2003

I really wish I had something amazing to add to this thread, but most of my char names are fairly straight forward and literal. A clever name for me is to dub a werewolf druid, 'Caleb'.

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Lord_Olf - 11-03-2003

Yep,

messed up singular and plural forms, should have been "pirate".

My apologies!

Greetings,
Lord_Olf

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Ferengi - 11-04-2003

I really regret losing control of "Uzi" on West. It was my speedzon from 1.05-1.06 days. My HC barb was named "OnlyOneLife". Most of the good names I dream up are in use (of course), I always wonder if they are on the same character I intended, for instance: "Splat" for a leap attack barb. I was recently surprised that "Ursidae" was available for my druid.

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - CelticHound - 11-04-2003

Oh, fine, be on-topic, why don't you? :blink:

I just made a Necro on USWest called BringOutYourDEA. Names can't be long enough to spell out "Dead", and someone would have taken it anyway.

Now I need to make a fire-based character named BringOutYourATF with a nickname of "Waco"...

-- CH

Ferengi,Nov 4 2003, 07:11 AM Wrote:I was recently surprised that "Ursidae" was available for my druid.

I suspect that Latin is all Greek to most people on b.net...

-- CH

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Occhidiangela - 11-04-2003

BringOutYerDead and it would have worked. :)

*ducks*

OT: What're the best D2 names you've ever seen? - Rhydderch Hael - 11-04-2003

Maxmillian Graves, or any derivation thereof, also tends to work. Makes-a-million graves.

Occhidiangela,Nov 4 2003, 09:32 PM Wrote:BringOutYerDead and it would have worked. :)
Actually, I tried that and a few other variations that were all taken - shows how original I was, eh? I did finally get one by altering both "Your" and "Dead", but just before the game Sunday, I decided to go with "DEA".

-- CH
(Which would be scarier? That Occhi might be thinking like me? Or that I might be thinking like Occhi?)

Edit add: To Rhydderch: ouch! :)