The Lurker Lounge Forums
shopping wands with charges - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Lurker Games (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Diablo II (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: shopping wands with charges (/thread-9715.html)

shopping wands with charges - apandapion - 12-06-2003

I'm trying to shop a lower resist wand with charges for a one-tree sorc. It seems that the power of the charges are directly determined by the power (ilevel? I know not the technical term for these things) of the wand, as I tend to see the same skill level of charges per skill. Example : my 82 necromancer seems to always see level 9 teeth charges (never 8 or 10) when shopping drognan.

My specific question is : can a wand with level 3 charges of dim vision even exist? I always see dim vision at skill level 2. And, more generally, how can i find out what character levels offer what charge skill levels for which skills?

A similar question on a similar topic : if I get a level 1 character to act 2 normal , will i have a better chance of getting low level skills (raise skeleton, skeleton mastery) on a white (non magic) bone wand shopped from drognan?

shopping wands with charges - Epi - 12-06-2003

apandapion,Dec 6 2003, 06:05 AM Wrote:A similar question on a similar topic : if I get a level 1 character to act 2 normal , will i have a better chance of getting low level skills (raise skeleton, skeleton mastery) on a white (non magic) bone wand shopped from drognan?
Clvl 1 char cannot get bone wand from Drognan (or any other vendor, for that matter). Bone wand has qlvl=18, so you won't see it in shops until you're clvl 13 (item level for vendors = clvl+5, and if this level is less than qlvl, item won't spawn).

Some definitions:

qlvl = quality level. This value is found in the level column of armor.txt, weapons.txt and misc.txt. This is the value that is used to create the weapXX and armoXX treasure classes. You can find qlvl of any base item on the www.d2data.net site.

ilvl = internal level (also referred to sometimes as the item level). This value is set at the time of an items creation, equal to the monster level for item dropped by monsters, clvl+5 for shopping; Arreat Sumit explains how it's determined for cubed items.

Refer to this thread for more information how "staffmods" are generated based on ilvl.

shopping wands with charges - Brista - 12-07-2003

There are two Of Lower Resist affixes in magicsuffix.txt

wand/knife/head: level 36, mod1code: charged, mod1param 91, mod1min -60, mod1max -3

staff: level 72, mod1code: charged, mod1param 91, mod1min -20, mod1max -1

mod1param makes it choose the skill Lower Resist, I'm not quite sure how the min and max work

Sorry not to be more helpful, hopefully someone else can explain

shopping wands with charges - Crystalion - 12-07-2003

Brista,Dec 7 2003, 12:18 PM Wrote:wand/knife/head: level 36, mod1code: charged, mod1param 91, mod1min -60, mod1max -3

{...} I'm not quite sure how the min and max work

Sorry not to be more helpful, hopefully someone else can explain
Ruvanal et al will probably step in here, as I'm too tired to explain this in detail... {edit: and correctly, as I made a least one big mistake in the first attempt}

Quote:can a wand with level 3 charges of {lower resist} even exist?
afaik, yes. If you are clvl 94+ the ilvl for the sake of the charges level calc will be (as of beta) 99+ and the slvl is scaled on a reqlvl..99 pro rata basis. Thus the oddity that slvl *11* firestorm charges exist, instead of the 10 you'd expect as the max, given the meaning of mod1max--an additional "sweetness" is that a druid can use a club like that at clvl 1 = awesome killing power for level, very expensive recharge.

It might be sooner than 94 depending on how the rounding/calc is done, but that would be my best guess.

{EDIT: was sleepy, but not too sleepy to remember and correct info about #charges increasing...}

The mod1min parameter is the base # of charges, which essentially increases prorata with each bump up of slvl. IIRC (second attempt) the abs(modmax1)/8 (when it is flagged by being negative) times the base #charges is how many extra you get by ilvl99 (and "max" slvl, apart from the >ilvl 99 note above).

But at your level, you're stuck. You're only going to see slvl 2.

One alternate is to look for uniques and runeworded items with charges of DV or its close cousin, Cloak of Shadows. Too sleepy to enumerate that for you. Good Luck.

shopping wands with charges - Brista - 12-07-2003

I soooo didn't understand that :lol:

shopping wands with charges - Crystalion - 12-08-2003

Brista,Dec 7 2003, 09:00 PM Wrote:I soooo didn't understand that  :lol:
mod1min specifies the number of charges
mod1max specifies the skill level the charges' skill

if those numbers are positive, then it's easy: the answer is the number

if those numbers are negative, then it is a bit tricky, but still fairly simple...

mod1max being negative means you will see slvl 1 .. -mod1max (ignoring oddities)

this range is scaled pro rata based on the item's ilvl relative to the skill clvl req, scaled to 99

mod1min being negative means you will see a bonus to the base number of charges, as the slvl rises. This bonus is a multiple of the base charges by the actual slvl/8.

afaik the simpliest case would be things like firestorm, where the clvl req = 1 (because it uses class skill clvl req for this purpose, iirc, and not the clvl 7 req a non-druid would see), because you'll basically see ten steps of #charges on the clubs, as the slvl goes from 1..10 with ilvl. This looks like this:

Firestorm, mod1min = -30, mod1max = -10

interpretation:
we can see slvl 1..10
charges at slvl 1: ~33; at slvl 10 (e.g. ilvl 99) charges: ~67 (30 + 30 * (10/8))

(actually slvl 11, ~72 charges should be possible, but ignore that oddity, which is due to v1.10 shop ilvls > 99);

When the clvl req is higher, the scale for the span of slvl affecting #charges is from that clvl req to 99 (instead of the convenient clvl req 1 used in the above example).

For Lower resist wands et al this would look like:

wand/knife/head: mod1min -60, mod1max -3; iirc class level req for skill is 30

slvl 1..3 possible
charges at slvl 1: ~67; slvl 2: ~75; slvl 3: ~82

and, as I said before, I don't think you'll see the slvl 3 until ilvl = 99, which would occur when shopping with a clvl 94 character.

Was that any clearer? Misc. details (calc/rounding, oddities) I've probably misremembered (Ruvanal and other modders are welcome to correct me). :)

shopping wands with charges - Ruvanal - 12-08-2003

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...9139&hl=charges

shopping wands with charges - Brista - 12-10-2003

That's now clear, thank you both very much :)