The Lurker Lounge Forums
Hunter - Pet Stats? - Printable Version

+- The Lurker Lounge Forums (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Lurker Games (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: World of Warcraft (https://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Hunter - Pet Stats? (/thread-6961.html)

Pages: 1 2

Hunter - Pet Stats? - kayles - 02-21-2005

I would like to know if there's a website or someone who might have a list of the different types of available pets and how their AC, HP, and Agility compare to one another?

Recently, I've been comparing a lot of pets to try and find a pet that tanks well. Everyone I talk to says I have to get a Turtle or a Scorpid for the high AC. However, once I tried both, I noticed that neither could tank as well as my 1.2 atk cat. With turtle or Scorpid, I regularly found myself pressed for health if I had to fight more than 1 beast in a row. With the cat I use, I was able to kill almost non-stop.

This started me wondering. I see slight differences between each type of pet. Usually, it's AC or HP, but lately I'm curious about Agility of pets. While the turtle & scorpid have high AC, they both have low agility. The cat seems to have higher agi, as does carrion bird, but their AC is lacking and their HP are about the same as turtle & scorpid. This made me wonder if my cat was tanking so well because it's agility was allowing it to dodge more hits and avoid damage. So now I'd like to find a listing somewhere with the different types of pets and their tamed stats at a preset level. Then I would like to compare the tanking and dmg avoidance of each to draw a more conclusive picture on the effects of stats on pets.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Xanthix - 02-21-2005

Here are three excellent resources:
http://www.wowcreatures.com/
http://www.goodintentionsguild.info/hunters.html
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...1&tmp=1#post155 (page 6 especially)

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Artega - 02-21-2005

Common wisdom says bears for tanks, cats for damage, and wolves/worgs for a middle ground. I've heard of crabs being good tanks, too.

Do everyone a favor, though, and get something OTHER than King Banalash for a pet if you get a cat. I see 50 hunters and 49 of them are using that fscking cat (or Snarler.) Don't be a sheep.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Quark - 02-21-2005

I saw someone on Friday with a bear from Felwood, and I was saddened :(

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Zarathustra - 02-21-2005

Quark,Feb 21 2005, 06:31 AM Wrote:I saw someone on Friday with a bear from Felwood, and I was saddened :(
[right][snapback]68564[/snapback][/right]

Ditto with the Angerclaw bears. *sniff* They need a little love.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Sir_Die_alot - 02-21-2005

Artega,Feb 20 2005, 10:04 PM Wrote:Do everyone a favor, though, and get something OTHER than King Banalash for a pet if you get a cat.  I see 50 hunters and 49 of them are using that fscking cat (or Snarler.)  Don't be a sheep.
[right][snapback]68558[/snapback][/right]
There is a reason for those and it is because of exceptional stats. Bang is one of the fastest running pets in the game that can also use claw (so this makes him popular for PvP use) and Snarler has 100 to all resists. A pet is as much a part of a hunter's equipment as their weapon and you wouldn't accuse someone of being a "sheep" for using the best equipment they could would you?

Edit: I should also say this is more due to Blizzard's poor implementation of pets rather than people being sheep. There just aren't that many "good" pets out there to choose from so it should not surprise people when the same one gets used by the majority of people.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Zarathustra - 02-21-2005

Sir_Die_alot,Feb 21 2005, 10:28 AM Wrote:Edit: I should also say this is more due to Blizzard's poor implementation of pets rather than people being sheep. There just aren't that many "good" pets out there to choose from so it should not surprise people when the same one gets used by the majority of people.
[right][snapback]68571[/snapback][/right]

I'm with you on that one. I would have liked to see a lot more variety in pets with different strengths and weaknesses, rather than having a few clear winners that everyone uses.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Kevin - 02-21-2005

Zarathustra,Feb 21 2005, 10:54 AM Wrote:I'm with you on that one.  I would have liked to see a lot more variety in pets with different strengths and weaknesses, rather than having a few clear winners that everyone uses.
[right][snapback]68574[/snapback][/right]

And what's worse is that some of it is in there. When you use the taming rods in the quests to learn how to tame beasts you will note that some of them have abilities that they don't have after you can tame them normally. The beast lore skill looks like it was intended to be able to show you what special fun things you can get from pets as well but since none of it is there it's a pretty marginal skill at best. I would love to have a wolf that can do it's little demorilzing howl. Or a swoop that could do a knockdown. Make the stables more valuable by allowing you to keep different pets for different special abilities for different situations. Tie the hunter to the pet more.

Of course since the hunter turned out to be pretty dang tough with a generic pet there isn't a lot of motivation to fix any of this anytime soon. Just another problem with a game that was released due to market forces and not when it was finished.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - MongoJerry - 02-21-2005

Artega,Feb 20 2005, 11:04 PM Wrote:Common wisdom says bears for tanks, cats for damage, and wolves/worgs for a middle ground.  I've heard of crabs being good tanks, too.

I've seen a shift among level 60 hunters to tame baby spiders from lower Blackrock Spire. I understand that's because they have a 1.0 attack speed or something like that. They look cool, too.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - playingtokrush - 02-21-2005

MongoJerry,Feb 21 2005, 02:54 PM Wrote:I've seen a shift among level 60 hunters to tame baby spiders from lower Blackrock Spire.  I understand that's because they have a 1.0 attack speed or something like that.  They look cool, too.
[right][snapback]68589[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, I've noticed that too. I'm not quite sure what good such a fast attack speed is for hunters without the Frenzy talent in the Beast Mastery tree. Now if the overall DPS and other stats of the spiders are high quality, then the choice makes more sense.

I, personally, prefer pets that eat fish, as it makes the fishing skill not completely useless.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Malakar - 02-21-2005

playingtokrush,Feb 21 2005, 05:11 PM Wrote:I'm not quite sure what good such a fast attack speed is for hunters without the Frenzy talent in the Beast Mastery tree.
[right][snapback]68594[/snapback][/right]
On PvP servers, it's great for fighting casters. I don't think this applies to mob casters, though I'm not sure. I would imagine it's also great for heal on attack stuff like the paladin seal and the beast mastery talent, and bad for thorns.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - playingtokrush - 02-22-2005

Malakar,Feb 21 2005, 04:05 PM Wrote:On PvP servers, it's great for fighting casters. I don't think this applies to mob casters, though I'm not sure. I would imagine it's also great for heal on attack stuff like the paladin seal and the beast mastery talent, and bad for thorns.
[right][snapback]68598[/snapback][/right]
It doesn't apply to NPC casters. I know it would be helpful for PvP, but I'd think since most people are still farming end game instances for loot that they wouldn't be too concerned about that yet on PvE servers. Oh well, spider pets are cool.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - kayles - 02-22-2005

Artega,Feb 21 2005, 08:04 AM Wrote:Do everyone a favor, though, and get something OTHER than King Banalash for a pet if you get a cat.  I see 50 hunters and 49 of them are using that fscking cat (or Snarler.)  Don't be a sheep.
[right][snapback]68558[/snapback][/right]

Well, the cat was a Starving Mountain Lion, but I've since gone to Gorilla. I'm tempted to use one your "sheepish" pets, but I have faith there's better out there than those 2.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - kandrathe - 02-24-2005

For my Night Elf I went with style over function. :)

My favorite pet is a Moonstalker "Felix" (zebra striped one), and I have the matching striped tabby. When I get my mount, yes, it will be the striped Night Saber. I like the cat because it eats fish, as well as meat (all the time), and as a fisherwomen I can keep him blissfully happy.

After being told by at least 20 people to go get "The Rake", I did and being in enemy territory it is no easy feat for a Night Elf. But I keep him as an alt and am training him up slowly to the level of Felix. Baa. Baa. :)

My son (who is 4 1/2) constantly cajoles me into taming Raptors, but I find that keeping them happy is much harder and that many areas lack a ready source of meat dropping prey. I imagine that some other pets with more obscure diets are even more difficult.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - savaughn - 02-25-2005

playingtokrush,Feb 21 2005, 06:41 PM Wrote:It doesn't apply to NPC casters.  I know it would be helpful for PvP, but I'd think since most people are still farming end game instances for loot that they wouldn't be too concerned about that yet on PvE servers.  Oh well, spider pets are cool.
[right][snapback]68618[/snapback][/right]
The only reason to have King Bangalash or a LBRS spider is for PvP - the cat for the intercept speed (Bangalash is the only pet in the game that catches elite mounts) and the spider for the PvP caster interupt ever 1.0s. In PvP, players ignore them and so the high damage/low hp pets work great.

The differences between pets in PvE is negligible across the board. If you're using a pet for off-tanking, bears, crabs, turtles, etc. are all pretty equal. If you're using the pet for additional DPS, all the DPS pets are basically equal, so why not use one that's good at PvP, too?

Hunter - Pet Stats? - malphigian - 03-02-2005

savaughn,Feb 25 2005, 08:26 PM Wrote:(Bangalash is the only pet in the game that catches elite mounts)

Not quite, also:
Takk The Leaper (extra rare spawn in barrens)
Longtooth Runners in Feralas (plain old mobs!)

Each the same speed and King Bang:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...ter&T=77035&P=1

King B also has the advantage of a 1.4 attack speed, however (these others have a 2.0), so he really is the min/maxers best PvP pet choice.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Yricyn - 03-03-2005

The real problem is that snarler is the only pet with resists. Once the game matures some, resists will be more important than they are now in PvE, and resists are always important in PvP.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - savaughn - 03-04-2005

Yricyn,Mar 3 2005, 02:08 PM Wrote:The real problem is that snarler is the only pet with resists. Once the game matures some, resists will be more important than they are now in PvE, and resists are always important in PvP.
[right][snapback]69668[/snapback][/right]
Actually, there are a lot of pets with resists. Of the pets with increased resists, Snarler has the most, however.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - kandrathe - 03-04-2005

Quark,Feb 21 2005, 07:31 AM Wrote:I saw someone on Friday with a bear from Felwood, and I was saddened :(
[right][snapback]68564[/snapback][/right]
Cheer up. Angerclaw Mauler's are a handy source for learning Claw level 7. You might have just come across someone in training.

Hunter - Pet Stats? - Ruvanal - 03-04-2005

kandrathe,Mar 4 2005, 03:01 PM Wrote:Cheer up.  Angerclaw Mauler's are a handy source for learning Claw level 7.  You might have just come across someone in training.
[right][snapback]69760[/snapback][/right]

Considering that I saw a player with one in IF about a week ago and the level of the bear was in the mid fifties, I think it was more than taking one for just the training. Some players like to get things that are different just to be different. Also some like to aim for the ickiest, grossest or wierdest just to try to be a 'shock' to other players out there.