Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Maggot Lair
Diablo II Bug Discussion
Think you've found a new bug? Want to find out about the bugs present in Diablo II? Here you'll find discussion of gameplay bugs. Note that this isn't a technical support forum.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "AI Curse bug" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Maggot Lair Topic #1009
Reading Topic #1009
WarBlade
Charter Member
18-Sep-02, 00:52 AM (GMT)
Click to send private message to WarBlade Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ  
"AI Curse bug"

I get a chuckle out of one of the many, "let's see what happens to creatures when an area becomes inactive," bugs. Much like the catatonic merc bug, there's a one that happens with the three Necromancer Curses that modify monster AI when your charcter does a runner. If the player/s leave while the Curse is in effect and come back later, after the duration of the Curse is passed, the AI modification will have stuck. What this means is the monster in question will still be operating under Curse conditions indefinitely with you having to re-apply any Curses.

Example: Drop Attract on a monster or two and leave the area, preferably with other monsters handy to combat the hapless victims. Come back later and they'll reactivate with the same AI as you last saw them - None carrying a Curse, but most engaged in a frantic death match, while you sit back and cackle with glee (except for the dead ones).

Example 2: I was recently forced into a temporary retreat in the Chaos Sanctuary after having landed a Venom Lord with Hit Blinds Target from a thrown javelin attack. Upon my return I discovered said Venom Lord taking a profound interest in a wall, even though the yellow orb over its head had long since vanished. The beastie never woke up to the fact my character was standing nearby unnoticed and only saw the merc when the merc ran into melee it.

The practical applications are limited, so this one is virtually little more than humour value.

==========================================
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
AI Curse bug [View All] WarBlade 18-Sep-02 TOP
  Old bug: I think it's always been around (nt) Elric of Gransadmin 18-Sep-02 1
  RE: AI Curse bug AtomicKitKat 18-Sep-02 2
     RE: AI Curse bug Creideamh 23-Sep-02 3
         RE: AI Curse bug powerdroid 23-Sep-02 4
             RE: AI Curse bug AtomicKitKat 30-Sep-02 6
  Paralyzing Blow RogueMage 29-Sep-02 5

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Elric of Gransadmin
Charter Member
18-Sep-02, 01:30 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail Elric%20of%20Grans Click to send private message to Elric%20of%20Grans Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "Old bug: I think it's always been around (nt)"
In response to message #0

AtomicKitKat
Member since 9-Jan-03
18-Sep-02, 11:05 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail AtomicKitKat Click to send private message to AtomicKitKat Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: AI Curse bug"

Try Kuko+Coif of Glory. Most appreciated by my Inferno Sorc, who just roasts the monsters while they just stand around looking ugly.

*A spark, then a flashing brilliance, with the accompaniment of the divine orchestra.*

Have a nuke-u-ler break, have an AtomicKitKat!

Creideamh
Member since 2-Aug-02
23-Sep-02, 01:48 PM (GMT)
Click to send private message to Creideamh Click to add this user to your buddy list  
3. "RE: AI Curse bug"
In response to message #2

'No practical use'?????

Amp damage...
Iron maiden...
Lower resist...
Heck, even conviction will stick on them since they're enemies...

powerdroid
Charter Member
23-Sep-02, 11:03 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail powerdroid Click to send private message to powerdroid Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM  
4. "RE: AI Curse bug"
In response to message #3

LAST EDITED ON 23-Sep-02 AT 11:04 PM (GMT)

>Amp damage...
>Iron maiden...
>Lower resist...
>Heck, even conviction will stick on them since they're
>enemies...

None of these are AI affecting curses, the AI affecting ones change the monsters' behavior, curses like terror, dim vision, confuse, and attract.

*edit:grammar

May the silence of the hills
The joy of the wind
The peace of the fields
The fire of the sun
The strength of the trees
And the faith of youth...
Be in your heart, always

AtomicKitKat
Member since 9-Jan-03
30-Sep-02, 07:18 AM (GMT)
Click to EMail AtomicKitKat Click to send private message to AtomicKitKat Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
6. "RE: AI Curse bug"
In response to message #4

I believe he's referring to what you can do after the "fact"

Basically, he means that once you've got them perma-blinded, you can do pretty much any curse or aura that will benefit your party to help you kill it, since in this case, the curses do "stack, albeit indirectly.

*A spark, then a flashing brilliance, with the accompaniment of the divine orchestra.*

Have a nuke-u-ler break, have an AtomicKitKat!

RogueMage
Charter Member
29-Sep-02, 09:51 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail RogueMage Click to send private message to RogueMage Click to add this user to your buddy list  
5. "Paralyzing Blow"

An old trick I discovered in Classic may still work as well. Equip a Sorc with something that causes Monster Flee, and hotkey a spell that freezes, like Glacial Spike. Freeze a monster with GS, and then hit them with your weapon. The victim will be unable to flee or attack, and will continue to be immobilized after it thaws. Unfortunately, the paralysis is broken as soon as the monster is hit by another attack, making this tactic useless around mercs and minions.

An interesting point is that unlike the other AI effects described in this thread, if you leave the area and come back, the paralyzed monster will have recovered.

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic