Diablo IIThe Lurker Lounge
      ABOUT · CHAT · COMMUNITY · FORUM · NEWS

The Armory
Diablo II Strategy and Tactics
The forum for strategy questions and answers, strategy guides, and tactics discussion for Diablo II.
Questions?  Read the Forum FAQ and please obey the Forum Rules.

Subject: "Damage Reduction Pally!" Archived thread - Read only

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Printer-friendly copy     Email this topic to a friend    
Conferences The Armory Topic #3397
Reading Topic #3397
goldfish
Charter Member
15-Apr-02, 08:21 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail goldfish Click to send private message to goldfish Click to view user profileClick to add this user to your buddy list  
"Damage Reduction Pally!"

Hello all,

You may have seen the posts recently on the Amazon Basin about creating a damage reduction sorc. (If not,
http://forums.theamazonbasin.com/d2/ikonboard.cgi?s=3cbb8f3e3632ffff;act=ST;f=55;t=397
http://forums.theamazonbasin.com/d2/ikonboard.cgi?s=3cbb8f3e3632ffff;act=ST;f=55;t=403 ) (if the links break, just go to Amazon Basin, Sorc Room, and look for the 2 posts about "The ultimate tanking sorc").

The idea is to use direct damage reduction items (rather than %reduce like shaftstop). You drop Sol runes (-7 damage each) into equipment, and use items "of life everlasting."

The idea sounded kind of fun for a sorc, but I decided to try it with a Pally.

Current equipment:
4-Sol Wire Fleece (28 damage reduce)
Circlet of Life everlasting (24) with Sol (total of 31 damage reduce)
Pally Shield with 33% resist & 4 Sol (28 reduce)
Amulet of Life Everlasting (25 damage reduce, plus +2 to Warcries )
Baranars Star
Gloves: Still trying to decide between Laying of Hands and Venom Grip
Boots: Gore Riders or Nat's Boots (unsure still)
Rings: It's a pally, right? Attack Rating and leech!

Total Damage Reduction: 112 .

(I have thought about doing some safety crafts for gloves / boots / belt (as well as Cathans ring, which I used for a while for leech) but the added reduction would seem to be minimal.)

Skills: Plain-vanilla Fanatical Zeal for now, with 10ish each in Convix, Holy Shield and HF.

The Idea: Why not try the Tank sorc on a melee class? What class? Well, pallies have auras (Salvation in paricular to make up for lousy resists), they have shields with built-in resists, they have great blocking, and they have no offense anyway . . . the damage reduction pally was born.

The Verdict: At Lv66, I'm in Hell Cows; I can take most monsters in Hell (except high elemental damage monsters) without breaking a sweat. Almost everyone outside of A4 or A5 hell makes absolutely no physical impact on me at all. What can hurt me still? Boss Packs (extra strong, fanat, might, cursed). Super Uniques (Duriel, Diablo, etc). Elemental Damage, of course. Hell Cows and Minotaurs can inflict up to 50 damage (cows) or 20ish (minotaurs). Lister and other Baal tagalongs (including Venom Lords, though it's hard to tell how much of that is fire).

You grow into your equipment by mid-30's, until there I played pretty much a normal pally. Str 153, Dex 136 (Baranars; Phase Blade if I ever get a lightsaber); Vit the rest. (Life 600ish, going to go up now as I pump Vit)

The good: Unless you're seriously lagged, or being far too bold , you should really never die. Physical damage is almost non-existent. You can stand in a cow pack in hell for 30 seconds (swinging for some leechback) without chugging a red. If you have potions, you can stand there for minutes.

Elemental Damage hurts still. However, with a few charms, plus Salvation (or Cleansing for poison) you can reach full resists. Of course, full resists in Hell is still not enough, and elementals will get you pretty quickly if you're not careful.

Holy Freeze plus damage reduction = massive survivability. This build might be good for HC, I'm not sure (with my slow computer and connection, I never play HC--it would be asking for trouble).

Problems: Even with Baranars, offense is mighty slow. The typical Pally issue: Which auras to use? Fanat, Convix, HF, and Salvation all have uses, so you'll flash a lot and still sometimes end up going all defense (HF/Salv) or chance dying to elemental damage (HF/Fanat) in order to kill things in a reasonable time.

The other big problem was lack of +skills. I didn't realize how accustomed I had become to those. Drop a point or two in Zeal and assume it's going to be Lv5? Nope, you have to put in every point you plan on using. I may eventually find a +2 pally, -25 dmg amulet and circlet, but until then no +skills for this build.

Thoughts for future: OCnsidering moving over an Iratha's set for the resists. The will strip me of 24 damage reduction (after I socket the crown with Sol) but may make up for it with resists. We'll see.

Anyways, the character is fun. I'm tired so this explanation (not a guide) is probably pretty choppy. I hope you enjoy it! If anyone needs some starter gear on East, I have a -18 ammy and a few 4-sox pally shields.

-goldfish

------------

"one person's holy cow is another's quarter pounder with cheese"
-Pete

"His wife replied that is was marinated dog. My sister went pale. My brother had seconds. I tried some. Spicy and tasty. Better than the brains, not as good as the abalone."
-Occhi

Printer-friendly page | Top

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
Damage Reduction Pally! [View All] goldfish 15-Apr-02 TOP
  RE: Damage Reduction Pally! BillyM 20-Apr-02 1
     RE: Damage Reduction Pally! Brista 11-May-02 2

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
BillyM
Charter Member
20-Apr-02, 03:36 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail BillyM Click to send private message to BillyM Click to add this user to your buddy list  
1. "RE: Damage Reduction Pally!"
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON 04-20-02 AT 03:41 PM (PDT)

pick up every ammy in hell cows, check them out, keep one.

it's lvl 90

it can get your needed mods by rerolling with 3 pgems (pick them up too).

Irathas & darkglow & 3D shield worked for me -- in classic I was unkillable in CS, but you are giving up a large percentage of DR.

Hands!! every boss is a demon.

furthermore, %DR is better for big hitters, so change gear

rings == opportunity to fix problems

think block!

--------------------------------------------------------

but I still won't play them!

Brista
Member since 12-Feb-03
11-May-02, 07:06 PM (GMT)
Click to EMail Brista Click to send private message to Brista Click to add this user to your buddy list  
2. "RE: Damage Reduction Pally!"
In response to message #1

When the XPac started I made a very cheap damage - reduction barb. It was the first character I managed to finish the game with and it was very good fun to play

Don't overlook crafting safety items, the damage reduction bonuses are weak in 1.09 but if the other modifiers are good then it's worthwhile. If damage reduction comes up as one of the random mods then it stacks with the pre-set mod. (It's incredibly cheap - the limitation is effectively perfect emeralds)

One of the nicest ways to make an amulet of Life Everlasting is with the recipe one of each gem except skulls + amulet => prismatic amulet. A suffix of "of Life Everlasting" comes up every now and then and so you get two top mods (it's happened about three times for me)

I got my damage reduction up to about 80 which pretty much eliminates damage as a significant factor except from Cows and Frenzytaurs in Hell. It doesn't totally stop it, there is a chance for monsters to critically hit you and do well over the damage listed on The Arreat Summit

The monster pages on the Arreat Summit will be your friend: they show you what you should be aiming for as you build the character
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/

Resists are crucial, so go for a 4D pally shield with at least 20% initial resist

For resist overkill you could swap in some + max resist gear. In fact with Iratha's, Guardian Angel, 4D paladin shield you can reach 95% resist all (and if you're rich still have space for Ravenfrost, Dwarf Star and Lightsabre giving you F/C/L absorb). You might need to do this against Baal and in the Chaos Sanctuary

In fact you're probably better off with Guardian angel than a SOL-ed armour in any event

At the very top end of the game (ie cows) I don't think you're going to have enough but you still will be the best pure tank anyone has ever seen!

Good luck and please let us know how it goes

Conferences | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic